The town of Simpson developed from the site and buildings of the original administration centre of the Heytesbury Settlement Scheme. In 1959 the town was named in honour of Mr H L Simpson, Chairman of the Soldier Settlement Commission. The Ministry of Housing put forth a plan of subdivision for a housing Commission Estate in 1966 and so began the growth of the township. In 1985 a survey of residents uncovered a need for improvement in social and recreational services. The premises at 11 Jayarra Street were allocated by the Ministry of Housing for use as a Neighbourhood House. The Simpson & District Community Centre became an incorporated association on 2nd September 1985.